1. This Chapter applies to the preparation, adoption, and application of technical
regulations, standards, and conformity assessment procedures that may affect trade in
goods between the Parties.
2. This Chapter does not apply to:
(a) purchasing specifications prepared by a governmental body for production or
consumption requirements of governmental bodies; or
(b) a sanitary or phytosanitary measure as defined in Annex A of the SPS
3. Except where this Agreement, including the incorporated provisions of the TBT
Agreement pursuant to Article 4.2, defines or gives a meaning to a term, the general
terms for standardisation and conformity assessment procedures shall normally have
the meaning given to them by the definition adopted within the United Nations
system and by international standardising bodies taking into account their context
and in the light of the object and purpose of this Chapter.
4. References in this Chapter to technical regulations, standards, and conformity
assessment procedures include amendments thereto, and additions to the rules or the
product coverage thereof, except amendments and additions of an insignificant
5. Article 1.8.2 (Extent of obligations) does not apply to Articles 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 of the
TBT Agreement, as incorporated into this Agreement.