Illustrative snapshots (Scenario 5, White Paper on the future of Europe)
- Trade agreements are actively pursued. They are initiated, negotiated and swiftly ratified by the EU on behalf of its 27 Member States.
- Europeans use connected cars seamlessly across Europe thanks to EU-wide rules and the work of an EU enforcement agency.
- Europeans wanting to have a say on a proposed EU-funded wind turbine project in their local area struggle to identify the responsible European authority.
- Citizens travelling abroad receive consular protection and assistance from EU embassies, which in some parts of the world have replaced national ones. Non-EU citizens wishing to travel to Europe can process visa applications through the same network.
- The European Stability Mechanism becomes the European Monetary Fund. It is subject to the control of the European Parliament and takes up new responsibilities to support the European Investment Bank in raising the financing of the third generation of the “Juncker Plan” to boost investment across Europe.